Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Geek Out!!!

Happy Birthday, Orlando Bloom!!!
*tosses glitter*



Okay, we’ll get back to Orlando's importance in this in a minute so take one last look at the pictures.

Okay, I’ll wait while you look again.

Alrighty, I'm going to say this loud and proud:


I am a geek!


When I was growing up being a “nerd” or “geek” was just not something that you strived to be. TV shows and movies back then portrayed the geek as a social misfit that was to be mocked. (Unless you wanted to copy their homework.) You read comic books and watched sci-fi movies? Only acceptable if you were a child, otherwise you were one of “those” people. Yup, a geek/nerd.

I grew up with a big love for the Star Wars universe. And Battlestar Gallactica. And the superheroes like Superman, Batman,and Wonderwoman. I was also a book worm. Key signs of "nerd" status, right? Sure I liked typical teenage girl things as well - shopping, talking on the phone, teen idols, music, etc. But I kept my love of all things geeky as well. I mostly kept it quiet. Those in high school that knew of my Star Wars love just shook their heads. (They clearly do not understand the appeal of Han Solo!) My first roommate thought it was "weird". Of course, she turned out to be quite the whack-a-doo all on her own merit.

Then something happened in 2001. This movie came out..."Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring" and I started to meet a whole new group of people because of the growing fandom for this movie. I started to meet the modern day geek! And let me tell you...these aren't your geeks of yesterday. These people are smart, they are personable, they are not your stereotypical "misfit". I have to tell you some of my best friends are geeks. And we can talk any subject out there, from the love of sci-fi to the latest world news. You have TV shows like my favorite, "The Big Bang Theory" that is a smash hit and it is all about the nerd life. And, funny enough, quite a few of those people in high school that always shook their head and pretended they were too cool -- GEEKS!!!

The Orlando Bloom tie in? Of course, he was Legolas in the spectacular “Lord of the Rings” trilogy. So happy birthday, Orlando Bloom! Because of you and the “fellowship” I have some of the most incredible friends in my life.

And I had to post one last picture of him because it is just too funny not to:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...