Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

The one where Candace Bushnell is a complete rock star!

Candace Bushnell came through Arizona on her book tour for “Summer and the City” and there was no way that I was going to miss the event.

When I got to the book store I was slightly unsettled to hear that Candace had a list of “rules”, which included only one book signed, no posed pictures, and no memorabilia from the “Sex and the City” TV series would be signed. I had already decided that I was getting a book signed for Leslie for a late birthday present. Our love of “General Hospital” introduced us, but we shared a love all things Carrie Bradshaw and company as well. This was perfect and if I could only get one book signed, that was what I was going to do. I also purchased a book for my sister, the paperback copy of “The Carrie Diaries” since she hadn’t read the book yet.

After wandering the store for over an hour (oh yeah, I was there way early since I came directly from work to save on the gas and driving time) they finally lined us up (still an hour to go before Candace was arriving) and they went down the aisle finding out how many books you had and getting them ready for the autograph signing. And yay, I got a tag for all three books!

Finally the event got under way as Candace came out and after announcing “Summer and the City” debuted at #2 on the New York Times Bestseller List, read a passage from the book and then did a brief Q&A. (She told a fabulous story about meeting her own Mr. Big and then marrying her own Mr. Bigger.) She has an extremely dry and sarcastic sense of humor, which is something I come equipped with as well so I loved it all.

I was the 4th person in line for the autograph portion. The two ladies in the very front each had 4 books to get signed and Candace was happily signing all books and asked if people were wanting to take pictures with her as well. The gentleman in front of me ruined it for everyone when he sat his BAGS (yes multiple) of books down and wanted them all autographed. Only two were personalized, the rest he just wanted signed. They only let him get a couple signed and then said only the new book was being signed at the moment. If you had other books, you were welcome to get back in line and Candace would sign them at the end. Sorry Liz! That meant your book couldn’t get signed as there were around 120 people in front of me for the second go-round. You will just have to do with getting an autographed book from the Jen Lancaster book signing on the 17th.

I thanked Candace for a fun filled evening with stories of the fabulous Carrie Bradshaw and Candace's own life. She was so incredibly cool and it made me an even bigger fan. (Even if I still don't dig most of the books.)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...