Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Review: Confessions of a Call Center Gal

First off, thank you so much to Lisa Lim for asking me if I would be interested in reviewing her book, "Confessions of a Call Center Gal".

A fun chick lit romance that will appeal to fans of Sophie Kinsella and Marian Keyes. Bridget Jones meets The Office. Madison Lee is a fresh college grad, ready to take on the world of print media. But she has zero luck landing a job. Unemployment is at ten percent and on the rise. Desperate and left with no other options, she accepts a position as a service rep at a call center in Pocatello, Idaho. At the Lightning Speed call center in Spudsville, Maddy plunges into the wild and dysfunctional world of customer service where Sales is prided over Service and an eight hour shift is equivalent to eight hours of callers bashing her over the phone. Oh sure, the calls are bad. But Maddy manages to find humor on the phone and off the phone. And with all the salacious drama behind the calls, there is never a dull moment at the Lightning Speed call center.
Lately . . . Maddy has been pining for her smolderingly gorgeous co-worker Mika Harket. Now things are heating up on the phone--and elsewhere. Don't hang up on this novel. Working at a call center has never been this garish . . . or this delightful.


A book about call centers, living in Idaho, and chick lit? Sign me up!

From the opening line of "How on earth did I wind up stuck here in Pocatello, Idaho?!?" to the very last line, I was entertained. Maddy, out of work and out of options, takes a job at a call center, along with her best friend, Karsynn. As someone that spent years in the trenches at a call center, this book spoke loudly to me. Crazy drama from co-workers and callers ensues as Maddy tries to get Mika to notice her. The characters were likable and easy to relate to. The only real issue I had was the relationship between Maddy and her mother. The fact it was strained and left unresolved bothered me, but didn't change how much I enjoyed the book. At times, I felt that the author was in my head. Self diagnosing with WebMD? Yup, do it frequently. Rude thoughts about ignorant callers? That was a daily occurrence. Little pop culture references made me laugh and the co-workers at the call center were fabulous!

Definitely do yourself a favor and check out Lisa's book! You won't regret it!!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks so much Michelle! I'm honored you read and blogged about by booky wook. You're a total rock star! xoxo Lisa <3

Samantha said...

This is in my to read pile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...