Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Book Nook: If you were here



There are only a small handful of authors that I anxiously await all new releases from, one of them without a doubt is Jen Lancaster, whom I find to be absolutely hysterical and brilliant. So I pre-ordered her new book, “If You Were Here” as soon as it was available on Amazon and then anxiously awaited the arrival.

Her first foray into fiction and Jen proved she is just as witty in fiction as she is with her much loved memoirs. “If You Were Here” follows Mia and Mac McNamara as they buy their first house, a fixer upper that they figure they can handle easily. The fixer upper in question? The famed house where Jake Ryan lived. If you are asking who Jake Ryan is, I am shaking my head at you. Jake is the dream guy from John Hughes’ classic film, “Sixteen Candles”. The fact it is Jake Ryan’s house is what appeals to Mia, the fact that there are plenty of do-it-yourself opportunities attracts Mac. Unfortunately, they aren’t prepared for the overwhelming money pit that they have moved in to.

Told with Jen’s familiar tone (complete with the foot notes that I adore) and filled with references to all things John Hughes, this book was a fabulous read. While it is fiction there are plenty of instances where you just know that something similar has happened to Jen and husband, Fletch, in real life.

I absolutely loved this book - from the zombie Amish teenagers in love to all the 80's references, I highly recommend this book!

(Reviewed for the Chick Lit Plus 2011 Challenge.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm gonig to check it out!

Samantha said...

I am interested in reading this one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...